Re: Re[2]: Question about marking traffic.

On Monday 28 June 2004 9:50 pm, mortar wrote:

> I have one more question. Maybe someone can help.
>
> What about tracking connections on non standard ftp ports (or http), for
> example 2121? How can i recognize them as a ftp (or http) connections
> and proper mark them?

I would answer this "you can recognise them just the same as you can recognise
them on 'standard' ports 21/20 or 80" - in other words (with a packet filter)
you can't - you just have to assume that ports = services (not always a safe
assumption).

> I read about layer7-filter project, but is it necessery?

Yes - if you want to know whether a traffic stream is HTTP (etc), you have to
look at OSI layer 7, because that's the only place HTTP means anything.

Netfilter works at OSI layers 3 & 4, therefore it can't identify what is HTTP
/ FTP / DNS etc - it can only guess.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,
because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

 - Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defence

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.