how to build a routing/packet filtering experimental environment on single PC

Hi, there

I started to learn iptables a few weeks ago. I am stuck at moment because I dont have many machines to play with. I am wondering is there any tools, which can be used to build a virtual envionment to play with routing and packet filtering on sinple machine. Tools like VMware would not be my choice because I only have 1GHz PIII with 256M memory.

Best Regards,
Christopher Li