Re: weird netfilter problem

Did some more testing seems I can ping the private side of the box, but not the public side...this a conntrack issue maybe? then when I ping internal from the firewall it works.

From: Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: weird netfilter problem
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:12:02 +0100

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 2:02 pm, Mike O wrote:

> Im trying to track down a problem Im having with iptables. For some reason
> the internal machines cannot reach the internet until I ping them from the
> iptables box. I check the conntrack tables and there still valid entries in
> there for that machine. if I reboot it works for about 5 minutes then
> stops. I tried upgrading the kernel to 2.4.26 and iptables 1.2.11 and the
> same problem happens. Any ideas? this was working fine for over 6 months
> then just starts doing this.

Sounds like the client machines can't do ARP resolution for the IP address of
the gateway.

I would suspect:

1. The NIC on the firewall.
2. The switch on your LAN.

Wait until one of the clients cannot get to the Internet, then examine its ARP
cache ("arp -an" on Linux, not sure about other O/Ss), and see if it has a
complete entry for the IP address of the firewall's internal interface.

Then do your ping and repeat the ARP check.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"The future is already here.   It's just not evenly distributed yet."

 - William Gibson

Please reply to the list;
please don't CC me.