Re: over a 1,000,000,000 individual ips to block

Hello,

	If you allow a simple IP to make a 100 smtp connections to your mail server
then you have other problems. Why you would allow any IP to make more then 10-15
connections is beyond me. Also .. if you set a error limit (example mine is 5)
when that limit is reached the smtp and tcp connection are dropped.

There are also other SMTP server restrictions you can take place. How do you
think mail appliances that are designed to be placed on the outside of a network
to filter traffic between the outside world and exchange work ??? Do you think
they rely solely on some other firewall to handle DOS's ??? I can tell you that
they don't.

I am not saying that you should not block abusive IP's or network's at the
firewall. But to rely only on the firewall to solve this problem. Plus using 1
million rules ... how long would your load time be ? What about changes and
administration ?

Also what about ESTABLISHED connections ??? If you do not use a ESTABLISHED
state -j ACCEPT at the top ... then each IP would then in theory have to match 1
million rules every time it came in.

I am sure there is a better answer then to create 1 million iptable rules.

Michael.

--
Michael Gale
Network Administrator