Re: Allowing ping cauing problems with udp

UDP is a stateless protocol and uses ICMP for errors - when a UDP port
is not open, the host returns an ICMP port unreachable.

NMap determines the status of a UDP port under an assumption - if an
ICMP port unreachable message is received, the port is closed.
Conversely, if NMap does /not/ receive an ICMP port unreachable, it
assumes the port is open. This is why NMap thinks all ports are open.

>From the NMap manpage:

"-sU    UDP scans: This method is used to determine which UDP (User
Datagram Protocol, RFC 768) ports are open on a host.  The technique is
to send 0 byte UDP packets to each port  on the  target  machine.  If we
receive an ICMP port unreachable message, then the port is closed.
Otherwise we assume it is open.  Unfortunately, firewalls often block
the port  unreachable messages, causing the port to appear open.
Sometimes an ISP will block only a few specific dangerous ports such as
31337 (back orifice) and 139 (Windows NetBIOS), making  it  look  like
these  vulnerable ports are open.  So don't panic immediately.
Unfortunately, it isn't always trivial to differentiate between real
open UDP ports and these filtered false-positives."

Your ruleset drops all incoming packets except those which are
established or related, tcp's going to port 22, and icmp echo-requests
and in the INPUT chain.

Read the output of your NMap scan /after/ you started dropping the ICMP
echo-requests in your INPUT chain - notice that it determined the host
was down merely because it did not respond to ICMP echo-requests:

"Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-06-24
09:33 CDT
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -P0 Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 12.053 seconds"

Try re-scanning, as advised by Nmap, with the -P0 option, to disable the
sending of ICMP echo-requests - you should get the same results as the
first scan. ;-)

--
Bryan McAninch

Network Security Engineer