Re: Transparent proxy single machine question

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 18:42, Dimitar Katerinski wrote:

> Hello Ken,
>
> Ah just know I understand that this is a workstation with some users,
> and squid and DG running ot this machine. Okay, I did some tests and
> came up with a solution ;-)
> You can't redirect packets that origin from the machine itself, to some
> other local port (as far as i know). Maybe you can play with
> CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL option in the kernel, but as I understand it, it
> lets you to use destination NAT on connections originating from local
> processes on the nat box itself, but that is now we are looking for. So
> here is what you can do:
>
> 1. Leave the proxy setting as is in the browser properties (127.0.0.1:8181)
> 2. Allow outgoing requests to port 80 only for the UID that squid is
> running under.
> iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner ! --uid squid -p tcp --dport 80 -j DROP
> This rule can be more flexible, but I live this to you, I hope you get
> the idea.
> 3. And finally test, whether you can make requests as user with and
> without proxy set in the browser.

Dimitar,

Success!! (at least mostly.)  Thanks greatly for your assistance.
I used WEBMIN firewall module to build the following rule:
-A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -m owner ! --uid-owner squid -j
DROP

case 1- User requests (with browser set to no proxy) time out after
about a minute.    [Desired outcome except timeout takes a long time]
case 2- User requests (with browser proxy set to the Dansguardian 8181
port) work fine.  [Desired outcome]
case 3- User requests (with browser proxy set to the Squid 3128 port)
also work fine.  [Not desired since webfiltering is bypassed]

So three things remain
1) Newbie question - How do I edit/change directly the iptable rules
without requiring webmin?  (I can print them out with the iptables-save
command)
2) Can I get the request reject/timeout to occur more quickly?
3) Can I close the loop hole of someone pointing their browser to the
squid port (rather than the dg port)?

Thanks again!!
Ken