Re: Transparent proxy single machine question

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 17:51, Dimitar Katerinski wrote:

> Hello ken,
>
> Yes, on single machine it will work with no problems. You should specify
> an incoming interface for the above iptables rule though. Do it like this:
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $LAN_IFACE -p tcp --dport 80 -j
> REDIRECT --to-ports 8181
>
> where $LAN_IFACE is the interface connected to your internal network.

I only have a single network card/interface on this box (eth0 , I guess)
Does that matter in this proxy context?

> And the scheme is as follows:
> 1. A client sends request for specific page
> 2. The linux box sees its a request for destination port 80 and
> redirects it to port 8181 where DG is listening.
> 3. DG takes the request, do what it does (content filtering, etc.), and
> sends it to Squid.
> 4. Squid request the specific page, and gives it back to DG, which again
> do what it does.
> 5. DG then, if everything is ok, server the request page to the client.
>

> About your question:
>  > ..when squid finally wants to send
>  > out the actual
>  > request to the internet, isn't that a port 80 request that the above
>  > iptables rule will
>  > redirect back to Dansguardian??
>
> No basicly it won't. Unless you dont have same rule in the OUTPUT chain
> of the nat table. the PREROUTING chain applies to packets which hit the
> box coming from somewhere outside, and not packets which origin from the
> machine itself.
Dimitar,
Your explanation here is great but it throws me a bit since the packet
requests coming from the browsers will all be internal requests (ie on
the same machine) so is a PREROUTING rule the right choice?  In other
words I want to apply a routing rule to internal requests (except those
from squid).
I appreciate your detailed response and I have looked for a "life of a
packet" explanation such as you provided but have not found it as yet.
In your 5-step explanation, when are the iptables rules applied?
Thanks
Ken