Re: Help with alias interfaces

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 9:30 pm, Dick St.Peters wrote:

> > > Deprecated by whom?
> >
> > http://mirrors.bieringer.de/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/conf-ipv6-in-ipv4-point-to-p
> >oint-tunnels.html (Section headings 9.3.1.1 & 9.3.1.2)
> > http://seclists.org/lists/honeypots/2004/Jan-Mar/0209.html
> > http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0108.2/0485.html
>
> These are deprecating the use of "ifconfig", not the use of
> pseudo-interface names.

That is precisely what I was saying is deprecated - the use of ifconfig.

One of the results of using it is that you automatically and non-optionally
get the pseudo-interface names (which are optional if you use ip addr).

Sorry if my wording was unclear - I didn't mean to suggest that multiple names
for interfaces are inherently a bad idea or deprecated.

> However, most people aren't dealing with ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnels,
> honeypots, or thousands of IPs per interface, as are the references
> you cite.  "ifconfig" will handle the vast majority of cases and is
> simpler to use when the power of "ip" is not needed.

I simply looked up references to support my assertion that "ifconfig eth0:0"
etc is deprecated.   The particular reasons why these people are using
multiple IPs on one interface are irrelevant.

I agree with you that ifconfig will handle the majority of cases.

I don't agree that it's simpler to use, but I think that's just a matter of
opinion.

However, as I said in my earlier posting, it doesn't matter to netfilter which
method you use to get the multiple IPs, so by all means choose whichever you
prefer.   I don't regard it as a big deal - I was simply surprised that you
hadn't come across this use of ifconfig as being deprecated, so I gave some
examples.

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.