Re: Help with alias interfaces

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 8:01 pm, Dick St.Peters wrote:

> Antony Stone writes:
> > The deprecated way to get multiple IPs results in pseudo-interface names
> > such as eth1:0, eth1:1 etc as you discussed.
>
> Deprecated by whom?

http://mirrors.bieringer.de/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/conf-ipv6-in-ipv4-point-to-point-tunnels.html
(Section headings 9.3.1.1 & 9.3.1.2)
http://seclists.org/lists/honeypots/2004/Jan-Mar/0209.html
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0108.2/0485.html

>  I use secondary IPs a lot, and I've never before
> heard anyone call the standard way of doing them "deprecated".  Plus
> I, for one, prefer having pseduo-interface labels for manipulating
> them.  Labels are handy, especially if you use names instead of
> numbers.  (eth0:bob is as valid as eth0:1.)

That's what the "ip link set <device> name <name>" is for now :)

> > The recommended way to assign
> > multiple IPs on one interface (ip addr add a.b.c.d dev eth1) simply
> > results in multiple IPs on the interface - no strange new names appear,
> > therefore I think it is a much more obvious and clear way of doing it.
>
> This is probably a case where context and background determine what is
> more "obvious" and "clear".

Agreed.

Antony.

--
Ramdisk is not an installation procedure.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.