RE: ECN problem?

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pawel Pilat
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:34 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ECN problem?

Thnx Mark

my box isn't ECN enabled for sure
to be completly sure I issued: echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

but this kind of behavior is strange for me or maybe my understanding of ECN
isn't enough when i connect directly to ISP link non routing host everything
seems to be OK (transfers rates) but EVERY returning packet in TCP sequence
has TOS set to 0x03.

it seems that every packet in connection from my hosts makes ISP router
congested - I don't think so - both interfaces of router are ethernet 100 i
set MTU on external if to 1460 also tried with lower values and iptables
..... -j TCPMSS ... also without results

so my theories :

1. ISP sets TOS field to 0x03 on purpose on EVERY TCP packet directed to my
host, but why?
NAT preventing or sth ?

2. bad ECN implementation ?
it is possible but affects only those people who share their connection.
at this point i must say that i dont want to make war with my ISP - i have 3
PC and i want them all to be connected (network protocols and features test
purposes)  generally it's not forbidden by ISP

i will examine those bytes just in case it's getting much interesting with
each packet i captured ... :)

i will be grateful for any advices

best regards
POSTER PL

 This is indeed an interesting problem, and it sounds like you have been
investigating it for a while. You mentioned that the TOS target was not
effective. Why not try the -m tos match, and send the 0x03 TOS packets to
the ECN target for processing? This target allows you to selectively work
around known ECN blackholes: -j ECN --ecn-tcp-remove. Apply this in the
mangle table with -p tcp. Just out of curiosity, what type of NICs are in
your box?