Re: What is the protocol number of NETBIOS over IEEE 802.2 ethernet?

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 04:57, Bassam A. Al-Khaffaf wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>    I am trying to DNAT the netbios broadcast traffic
> (03:00:00:00:00:01) over IEEE 802.2 ethernet. So is there any number
> for this protocol so I can use it with my iptables rule?
>

> Note: I am asking for netbios protocol over IEEE 802.2 ethernet and
> not over Ethernet II
>

> For example:
>

> iptables ât nat âA PREROUTING -i eth1 âp netbios âj DNAT
> âto-destination 192.168.1.231

<snip>
NetBIOS generally uses three different protocols:

NetBIOS datagram service - 138 /udp - most data transmission

NetBIOS name service - 137 /udp - probably what you need for
registration

NetBIOS session service - 139 /tcp - I'm not sure what uses session
oriented NetBIOS

As I mentioned in response to your previous post, I generally try to
avoid the use of NetBIOS broadcasts and far prefer a name server
approach on both routed and bridged networks.

--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer