Re: Blocking Streaming Media (Was: Re: (no subject)..)

--- Michael Gale <michael.gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Netfilter is a packet level firewall option, for security you should be
> using
> multiple levels. Which means adding more layers, use iptables for packet
> filtering and then:
>
> Exampels:
>
> 	Squid for http application level filtering
> 	Frox for FTP application level filtering
>
> 	For https allow connections to only required servers.
>

> Michael.
>

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:37:43 -0700 (PDT)
> SBlaze <dagent.geo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I guess, blocking ports or defining ports to be allowed to users is not
> > enough. Users are clever and smart from day to day. Once the originial and
> > standard ports blocked by administrator, they use port forwarding sometimes
>
> > to some kind of hosting server or dedicated server, and they still able to
> do
> > music streaming.
> >
> > If you checkout the greatest site, let say www.shoutcast.com, u can see
> lots
> > of stations use port 80, it means connecting to radio stations would be the
>
> > same as clients surfing to the web.
> >
> > I'm still thinking patch-o-matic STRING would be the best solustion for now
> ..
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rio Martin.
> >
> > Perhaps you missed the rest of my post? I only pointed out the yahoo
> support
> > page as a starting point. I wouldn't attack this from a port point of view
> > becuase that method would be hit and miss. Find where the music comes from
> and
> > block the ranges it comes from. I stated examples of this with the Yahoo
> > LaunchCAST streaming protocol. I don't know the structure of your network
> so
> > it is hard for me to say how to find the culprits. I also used a packet
> > sniffer on my network to find where the service was originalting. Stopping
> > shoutcast maybe a bit more difficult... I'll look into that as well...
> >
> > =====
> > In the absence of order there will be chaos.

> > Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
> > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

Well me personally I don't have the resources for squid... I can't speak for
Rio though. Perhaps he should check here.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.1

My set up is only a Dual Pentium Pro 200 with one IDE 80GB drive(UDMA 66) w
128MB EDO RAM

=====
In the absence of order there will be chaos.