RE: Poll on large sites that deploy Iptables.

Yes, its true but you must isolate 2 concepts here.

PIX doesnt run IOS, it uses a software called pix software (yes, cisco has a
lot of art naming devices). All pixes mid to high range(515E, 525 and 535)
are intel pentium based and in standard configuration they do the encryption
in the main cpu.

Now they made (cisco) a new VAC (VPN accelerator card) that the routers /
switches+routers (like 6500's) and pixes uses to do the encryption via
hardware (those chips are not intel based).

So, PIX uses main x86 proccessors to do the encryption job if there isnt any
VAC installed, in this case all the encryption proccess are passed to the
VAC. It works in the same way in some routers not all.

I hope it helps.