Re: Logging MAC

On Saturday 22 May 2004 1:09 pm, Alistair Tonner wrote:

> On May 22, 2004 05:06 am, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > Surely there will *always* be two MAC addresses involved in a
> > communication - that's how two machines find each other across the local
> > subnet (ie: via a switch / hub / access point etc)?
>
> 	*Thwack*'s self in head.  Of course, so long as "Ethernet" is involved.

Or some similar broadcast-based medium such as 802.11 (which isn't ethernet,
but behaves like it for a lot of things, including MAC addresses).

The general rule is: you need MAC addresses for broadcast-connected networks
(where each device can see every other locally-connected device) - the MAC
address is needed to tell one device from another.

You don't need MAC addresses for point-to-point (one-to-one) connected
networks, because you know there's only one device on the other end of each
of your own interfaces, therefore you don't need to specify where they're
going.

> 	in ipt_LOG.c MAC address logging is ONLY done in INPUT.  So ..if the
> 	packet is NOT destined for the machine, you wont see MAC.

Aha :)   [ * Light bulb * ]

The answer to the original poster's question.

I guess (without having looked at the source) that it should be a simple
enough hack to get ipt_LOG.c to log MAC addresses for all chains.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"When you talk about Linux versus Windows, you're talking about which
operating system is the best value for money and fit for purpose. That's a

 - Steve Vamos, MD of Microsoft Australia

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.