RE: IP masquerading and second ISP line questions

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am running iptables on my fedora box to do ip masquerading for my
> > internal network as well as 1 to 1 NAT for two windows terminal servers.
> >
> > #1, I am using a Checkpoint SecureClient to log into my VPN at my office
> > (not on one of the two terminal servers).  Since I switched to iptables
>
> Switched from what?   (Just out of interest, I don't think it matters to
> this
> question.)

I should have made that more clear...I switched from PIX!

> > handle my ip masquerading, it has periodically booted me out of my
> network
> > forcing me to re-authenticate.  I had heard that there were more than
> one
> > ways to do IP sharing/masquerading.  Is the -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j
> > MASQUERADE the preferred method to do this?
>
> It's generally recommended that if you have a static IP address (which you
> appear to have), then you use SNAT instead of MASQUERADE, however this is
> purely for a (very modest) performance improvement; it doesn't change the
> functionality in any way.

So, in order to do this sort of static NATing, what sort of command would I
use to to replace the -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE?  Would
sensibily, it seems like I should do something like this:

-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT -o eth1 --to-source 1.2.3.5

Is that more or less what you were talking about?

> If you actually have a dynamic IP address on your external interface, then
> you
> have to use MASQUERADE, but this fact would also be the cause of you
> losing
> authentication on the SecureClient as well, because it would suddenly find
> itself talking to a new address from time to time.

Yeah, I actually do have a bunch of statics.  I don't think that my
SecureClient problem is a function of the IP addresses.  I think that it has
to do with NAT.  From what I can tell, it is a common problem that many
IPSec VPN clients have when working behind firewalls/routers using
masquerading NAT. Its seems that the common workaround is to do UDP
encapsulation--something that my particular client does not support.  I
might end up trying to do 1:1 on it.

> > #2, I hope this is feasible--it is kind of a tricky one.  I have a third
> > interface on my iptables box (not indicated on my diagram) that is
> > connected to a cable modem (as a backup).  Since it is just sitting
> there
> > all day long not doing anything, I would love to use it from a few of my
> > boxes to handle my bittorrent/ftp traffic.  Is it possible to do a
> similar
> > thing to what I am doing with my squid proxy to automatically route
> > bittorrent or ftp traffic through eth2 instead of the default eth0?
> Could
> > somebody shed some light on that one for me?
>
> Yes.   Set up another route using the iproute2 tools available from
> http://lartc.org - for what you want, the best solution is probably to
> MARK
> the packets you want to go up the cable modem in netfilter, and then route
> the marked packets with the appropriate iproute2 tables.

Yeah, I've looked there....it seems like a slightly complex process.
Perhaps a project for next weekend!

Thanks,
Ryan