RE: pop3 and dns

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
cldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:40 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: pop3 and dns

<snip>

In following this post...

I currently only allow port 53/udp through my wall for dns. I haven't
noticed many

In the even that someone is able to comprimise a dns server, what would be
the best way to restrict tcp zone transfers at the firewall? Rate limiting
comes to my mind, any suggestions on the actual limits?

Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Christopher Davis

Christopher - You should never rely on your firewall to restrict zone
transfers. You should create an ACL in your named.conf file for hosts
permitted to request zone transfers, and then apply this against the
allow-transfers parameter.  Example below:

# Allow zone transfers from these name servers
acl "xfers" {
	192.168.1.1;
	192.168.2.1;
	localhost;
};

# ZONE TRANSFER
# Only allow hosts in the "xfers" acl do zone transfers
allow-transfer { xfers; };