Re: selective connection tracking?

Quoting Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Looks to me once I loaded the conn_track modules, everything was
> tracked.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Is there a way I can specify, for example, that I only want http to
> be
> > tracked? All other traffic will be dropped anyway, tracked or not.
>
> If it's going to be dropped, there won't be a connection, therefore the
> other
> traffic won't consume any connection tracking resources.

I believe the connection tracking is useful for the FORWARD filter, however,
for the INPUT filter, its the job of Linux TCP/UDP to take care of those
things. Keep another set of stat below the IP layer does not make sense to me.
The upper layer protocol has a better knowledge of the connection state than
the conn_track anyway.