Re: How to drop/reject packets amongst LAN clients?

On Monday 10 May 2004 6:14 pm, Cedric Blancher wrote:

> Le lun 10/05/2004 à 18:23, michael@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
> > The LAN currently has 5 computers connected to it with static IP
> > addresses:
> > 192.168.1.2
>
> [...]
>
> > 192.168.1.6
> > I will be adding 3 more machines with with static IP addresses:
> > 192.168.1.7
> > 192.168.1.8
> > 192.168.1.9
> > Issue:
> > *.9 needs to remain accessible from *.7 and *.8; however, I need to
> > restrict any connection or accessibility to *.9 from *.2 - *.6.
>
> You can't restrict this kind of communication for it does not go through
> your box. If you want to achieve this, then you have a Linux box a a
> filtering bridge.
>
> Activate bridge filtering (available in stock 2.6 kernels) using
> Netfilter and you're done.

Just an addendum to my previous response, which was a much simpler solution
than this, but assumed (!) that the 192.168.1.9 machine was running Linux,
and therefore could have netilter installed on it :)

Sorry for making that assumption - if it's not the case, then a bridging setup
like Cedric has described is probably your best solution.

[ Note to self: I must remember that people use things other than Linux on
their networks :)  ]

Regards,

Antony

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

 - Daniel C Dennet

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.