unresolved symbols in ip_conntrack_rpc_udp.o

Hi,

I've donwloaded rpc.patch and applied it against Red Hat's kernel-source-2.4.20-24.7 package on my development machine. I've used configs/kernel-2.4.20-i386.config as basic configuration file, and added RPC match support under Netfilter Configuration. I've used i386 config file, since I wanted to build modules that I could copy to other Linux boxes I have, and not to have to worry about exact architecture.

When I copy three RPC modules (ip_conntrack_rpc_tcp.o, ip_conntrack_rpc_udp.o and ipt_rpc.o) to /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter, and do depmode -a everything is fine. All works if I copy those files to another test box I have which is also i686 (same as devel box). However if I copy them to i586 box, depmode complains about unresolved symbols, and if I try modprobe, it says that irq_stat_R9c2e871c can't be resolved. The only difference between two test boxes is that one is i686, and the other is i586. This is kind of strange, why would code built for i386 work on i686, and not on i586?

Is there a way to compile those modules so that I can use them on all my boxes, regardless of exact architecture? Additionally, it would be nice if there is a way to build them so that I can use them with different 2.4 revisions without recompiling.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited