Re: TARPIT question (more info)

On April 18, 2004 06:47 pm, udo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> Now I also want to use the tarpit feature for ports
> >> 1023. Who can help me here?
> >
> > Maybe you can do something with the mport patch :
> > http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-
>
> base.html#pom-base-mport
>
> The issue is more in this direction:
> For unpriviliged ports I need to find out if a
> connection is related or not.
> Do I need conntrack for that? Or
> If a connection is not wanted I could make it
> UNTRACKED and move it to the TARPIT target.
>
> I may be missing something here, of course.

	Short Answer "Yes"

	Long Answer:
	I suspect that what you are missing is that a default rule at the top
	of each chain that ACCEPTS all "RELATED,ESTABLISHED" connections
	will take *all* related or established packets out of the chain.  Soo..
	if you are pumping things off to be TARPITTED, you need to make sure that
	the rules for TARPIT are *after* all the ACCEPT packets, including ACCEPT
	of NEW connections that you want to let in.  -- I'd suggest
	looking into the psd module, although this is a project I've yet to engage
	in, it was my thought that if you used the psd module, and then passed
	packets that fit it to a separate chain, you could TARPIT them there, thus
	managing to minimize the use of resources on your box, whilst frustrating
	the scanner/skiddiot/twit on the other end.

	However, I've yet to attack that one, and when I do -- I will DEFINATELY post
	the concept in words we can all use.

	Alistair Tonner.