Re: Limit Bandwith

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 08:43, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2004 4:13 pm, cron@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I´m new to iptables and also to the list.
> >
> > I have a linux box with 1 mb internet connection with is the host for some
> > sites and some email and is also the gateway to 5 pcs with fake ip adress
> > just to provide acess to the internet.
> >
> > Nat is woking  fine but would be very nice to limit the bandwith to the
> > lan. I have no clue where to start. Perhaps someone could anser some
> > questions?
> >
> > Does iptables limit bandwith?
>
> Not really, no - it's more of an "all or nothing" filtering mechanism - either
> you decide to allow something, or you decide not to (with certain specific
> exceptions such as SYN packet rate limiting for flood protection).
>
> > Any good howto about iptables/bandwith?
>
> Check out http://lartc.org - that will do what you need.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antony.

As Antony said, lartc.org is the home page for the "tc" toolkit (command
is also called "tc") and the "iproute" toolkit (command is called "ip").

specifically look at http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN2241 for a
ready-to-run HTB script and http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN2233 for a
ready-to-run CBQ script. But do take the time to learn the "tc" (for
"traffic control") architecture and its rich features, its worth the
time.

--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.