Re: Iptables and Kernel

Is iptables still needed for kernel 2.6.x? I see a lot of iptables
patches go into the kernel, but not much updates on the
www.netfilter.org. The logo on netfilter says firewalling, NAT and
packet mangling for Linux 2.4. So I guess much of the code goes directly
into the kernel? Also does kernel 2.6.3 support Netmeeting and MSN
Instant Messengener, or I need the following plug-in,
http://www.kfki.hu/%7Ekadlec/sw/netfilter/newnat-suite/?

1) iptables is the userspace component. Yes it is still needed in 2.6.x -- you still have to use it to setup and manage individual rules.

2) 2.6.x indeed supports many components of netfilter out of the box, however there is still patch-o-matic-ng which can still add functionality not yet in the kernel or in userspace.

3) No, you do not need patches from newnat-suite by default, you need ip_conntrack_h323 and ip_nat_h323, although you might need newnat if your iptables is really old.

I'm using iptables-1.2.9-5mdk.i586.rpm on LM10.0. The latest on www.netfilter.org is 1.2.9. I guess those 2 modules is included in 1.2.9?

Keep in mind that *support* of netmeeting in this case is a loose terminology -- I believe that several functionalities are not covered by the h323 patches.

All I wanted is the ability to see video & audio for both incoming and outgoing calls. Is that supported in iptables-1.2.9? Do I need to apply pom-ng on top of iptables?

Regards,
Norman