Re: Iptables and Kernel

On April 12, 2004 01:22 am, Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is iptables still needed for kernel 2.6.x? I see a lot of iptables
> patches go into the kernel, but not much updates on the
> www.netfilter.org. The logo on netfilter says firewalling, NAT and
> packet mangling for Linux 2.4. So I guess much of the code goes directly
> into the kernel? Also does kernel 2.6.3 support Netmeeting and MSN
> Instant Messengener, or I need the following plug-in,
> http://www.kfki.hu/%7Ekadlec/sw/netfilter/newnat-suite/?

	1) iptables is the userspace component.  Yes it is still needed in 2.6.x -- you still have to use
	it to setup and manage individual rules.

	2) 2.6.x indeed supports many components of netfilter out of the box, however there is still
	patch-o-matic-ng which can still add functionality not yet in the kernel or in userspace.

	3) No, you do not need patches from newnat-suite by default, you need
	ip_conntrack_h323 and ip_nat_h323, although you might need newnat if your iptables is really old.

	Keep in mind that *support* of netmeeting in this case is a loose terminology -- I believe that
	several functionalities are not covered by the h323 patches.