Packet sniffing... sort of

Hi people.

This is not strictly a netfilter question, but I'm wondering if maybe someone
can help or make a suggestion?

I want to pick up a packet stream, but for an HTTPS connection, and using a
standard packet sniffer like ethereal just gives me the encrypted SSLv3
stuff, not the plaintext data which I need to see.

Can anyone think how I can see the content of packets from a browser running
on my machine, which is posting a form back to a remote server somewhere,
using HTTPS?

I can do anything I want on the client machine (and I can see the source code
of the form page too), however when I try sending what I think is the same
data back to the server from a Perl program instead of from my browser, the
remote server complains at me (and not in a helpful way, either - it says
"500 Internal Server Error").

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no
difference, whereas in practice there is.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.