Re: RST instead of FIN?

On Saturday 10 April 2004 7:33 pm, Jay Levitt wrote:

> 66.35.250.206, a sourceforge.net box, connects to my mail server to deliver
> an e-mail, as follows:
>
> sourceforge: [SYN]
> me: [SYN, ACK]
> sourceforge: [ACK]
> [SMTP conversation ensues, switches to TLS, sends me an e-mail.  at the
> end..] me: [RST]
> sourceforge: [FIN, ACK]
> me: [RST]
> me: [RST]

Makes no sense to me.   Maybe you could check whether this happens when other
mail servers send you an email (ie: is it a consistent thing with your mail
server), or even whether it happens *every* time this particular mail server
talks to you, or only sometimes?

I can't suggest why it might be happening, but I'd suggest turn on sendmail
debugging/verbose logging in order to see what it thinks is really going on.
I think it's an application-layer thing rather than a kernel/networking
thing, but that's a guess.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.