RST instead of FIN?

On my Mandrake 9.0 box (2.4.19-38 kernel), a few times an hour I see TCP packets after the end of a TCP session, which result in log/drops in iptables.  I ran ethereal to capture one such session, and found that in this instance I seem to be the party at fault - but I have no idea why or what to do...

66.35.250.206, a sourceforge.net box, connects to my mail server to deliver an e-mail, as follows:

sourceforge: [SYN]
me: [SYN, ACK]
sourceforge: [ACK]
[SMTP conversation ensues, switches to TLS, sends me an e-mail.  at the end..]
me: [RST]
sourceforge: [FIN, ACK]
me: [RST]
me: [RST]

Since I'd already RST the connection, the [FIN, ACK] was of course treated as un-ESTABLISHED, and so was logged and dropped.

But what could cause me to be sending three RSTs at the end of a conversation instead of a FIN?  Could that be a sendmail problem (I'm running 8.12.10), a kernel problem, something else?  The whole conversation took 5 seconds, so there are no timeouts occurring...

Jay Levitt