Re: safe default chain policies

Hi Antony,

I will leave the nat chains open. In fact I already did that yesterday. I really makes my life better.

May I ask what are your arguments in favor of putting filter output and forward chains to drop?

As far as my understanding goes, the output chain is primarily important for traffic involving the firewall box itself. For example, you need rules in this chain if you want to ftp from the firewall to the outside. You need rules also if you want the firewall box to communicate freely with the local network. Why wouldn't we want the box to complete connections? Once traffic passed the input chain, why wouldn't I want it to cross the output chain as well?

My reasoning is similar with the forward chain. If traffic is allowed through the input chain, it is very likely it is allowed to cross the forward chain too.

In other words, rules in OUTPUT and FORWARD appear redundant to me.

How a default accept policy in output and forward OUTPUT can compromise my network? Are there obvious cases I should know about?

Thanks for sharing!

> I set all of input and nat chains to DROP.

Do NOT set the nat table policies to DROP.   The nat tables are for address
translation, not for filtering (DROP is a filtering operation).

> I am thinking to set all chains to ACCEPT except the INPUT chain.

No. Set default DROP on INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT, then add rules to allow
the traffic you want.

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://fr.ca.search.msn.com/