New Iptables User

I am running redhat linux AS3 and I have uninstalled the rpm that came
with the os... it wasn't reading the rules right. So i've installed a
iptables 1.2.9 rpm. I really want to reinstall from source without being
able to recompile the kernel. What guidlines would anyone have for me? I
also need to know from you all what command you want me to use in order
post the output of iptables -L on this list for help. Basically what are
the posting guidelines.