iptables-restore problem

hi,all
   I have encountered a problem:
   I can ping to another machine. Yet telnet and ftp port can not opened. So I thought it was a firewall problems. I compile the kernel with CONFIG_NETFILTER unselected. Still the same problem. When I restore all Netfilter configuration and use
service iptables start, a message "iptables-restore failed in line 18".
   What's the problem?

        Jack Liu
        Jack_liu@xxxxxxxxx
          2004-03-31