Re: simple config question

On Sunday 28 March 2004 3:58 am, Eric McAfee wrote:

> I need to know the iptables command that would restrict all access to my
> server except for my computer's Dreamweaver program and ccbill's access to
> my password file. I know it would be some variation of:
> iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --syn -j DROP

That rule will definitely block all TCP access via ppp0 to the machine.

All you need to do next is insert before that rule something suitable to allow
the connections you mentioned.

I can't quite figure out from the description you gave what network protocols
you are talking about however, so I can't suggest what rules they need to be,
however if you're not sure either, a simple LOGging rule should help you work
out what is needed:

iptables -I INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp -s a.b.c.d -j LOG

where a.b.c.d is the IP address of a machine you want to allow access.   The
LOG will show you what packets arrive, just before they get DROPped, so you
should be able to work out from that what rule to add to ACCEPT them instead.

Regards,

Antony.

--
This is not a rehearsal.