Re: Conntrack full, but not really

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 14:13, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm having the standard problem of the connection tracker running out of
> space, but this time with a twist. If I check how many connections it is
> currently tracking it is nowhere near the upper limit. I've searched
> through the archives and haven't found anything like this.
>
> The machine is a P-2 333 MHz with 96 MB of RAM doing nothing but
> routing. It's running Red Hat 9 with kernel 2.4.20-28.9 (although the
> problem exists with other Red Hat kernels). The problem appears after
> about a month of uptime. After that the machine needs to be rebooted to
> recover (flushing out the connection tracker might work aswell but that
> doesn't really make the problem less severe).

The problem is with a conntrack patch that Red Hat is including from an
old Alan Cox tree. It seems to leak memory somewhere so that if you look
in /proc/net/ip_conntrack it is 'empty' but if you look at
/proc/slabinfo it is full.

The problem can show up pretty quickly if the ip_conntrack_ftp is loaded
on a heavy server. My fix has been to get a 2.4.25 kernel and compile it
as an RPM and use it.

Beyond that, maybe RH will offer a fixed kernel for RHL-9, but I am
doubting it.

--
Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen@xxxxxxxx
Los Alamos National Lab  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645