Re: differences between win and unix tcp clients.

(netfilter-devel removed from CC list)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:12:01AM -0300, Fabiano Reis wrote:
> Conclusion: I think this was because the Windows implementation of TCP detects something different on this connection, maybe it detects in some way that there is a filter on the server side and this is why the time for the error message take so long to appear.

Basically yes.  I wouldn't say that Windows "detects something
different".   I would say that the Windows client isn't properly
interpretating the ICMP Port Unreachable message.

> Am I right? Is there a workaround for this problem? I need to make windows think that the server is really "down" and that is why i?m writting to you people.

try extending your REJECT option:

-j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

which should give you the desired result, in exchange for being
a crude pseudo-rejection.

Joshua.

--
Joshua Goodall <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Solutions Architect / Principal Security Architect