RE: New connection to windows boxes very slow, very fast afterinitial delay

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 10:33, Miguel Laborde wrote:
> Hi Ray,
> 	thanks for the reply however I don't think this is a netbios issue. I realize I said \\dmzmachine but really in this case I'm using an IP address and I'm connecting to the c$ drive so there shouldn't be any Netbios name lookups

I think you are confused. _NetBEUI_ is its own stand-alone protocol.
When older systems use IP, its actually NetBIOS/IP. Do a:
netstat -an

and you should see ports between 137-139 open. These are the NetBIOS
ports.

As for your question about Windows creating a new session based on an
ACK packet, this is false. Windows properly returns a RST to these
packets. SYN and SYN/PSH are the only two valid flag combinations I've
found on Windows for connection establishment.

Now, it *could* be that you are banging your head against the state
table time out. This is 5 days by default, or less if one end signals a
Window size of zero (time-wait). If the session is sitting quieter for
longer than that, Netfilter could be killing the session. You could fix
this by writing a rule that passes ACK packets from the outside host,
but this would be a potential security hole. Best fix would be some kind
of a keep alive (file copy running on a scheduled process or something
similar).

HTH,
Chris