Re: differences between win and unix tcp clients.

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 07:12, Fabiano Reis wrote:

> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --source 192.168.0.2 --dport 23 -j REJECT
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --source 192.168.0.3 --dport 23 -j REJECT
>
> On the Solaris machine: a very fast response that the connection was
> refused.
>
> On the Windows 2000 machine: after for about 20 seconds I got the
> message that the connect failed (I thing this is the same as
> connection refused).

If you don't specify a reject option, the default is an ICMP port
unreachable. This is an odd thing to return for a closed TCP port, as
normally it would be an ACK/RST.

So I'm guessing that Solaris handles this like an ACK/RST while Windows
handles this like any generic type 3 error. Doing a:

-J REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

would produce more consistent results, however you are running such an
old version of iptables I *think* that version was still returning bad
sequence numbers on the RST's. It might work for you, it might not. You
should really upgrade.

HTH,