Re: tcpdump and iptables ..

On Saturday 06 March 2004 6:46 pm, Cedric Blancher wrote:

> Le sam 06/03/2004 à 19:12, Antony Stone a écrit :
>
> > tcpdump sees ethernet frames,
> > IPX and similar traffic which are not even IP based, as well as
> > completely different media types such as 802.11b headers.
>
> Just a notice about 802.11 stuff.
>
> The way tcpdump will see traffic coming from a wireless link depends on
> the wifi interface state. If the interface is in normal operation mode
> (managed, ad-hoc or master), it will see frames as usual ethernet ones,
> just as it was sniffing a wired link. If the interface is in monitor
> mode, then it will see the frames will full 802.11 header.

True - I guess I'm just used to always doing my 802.11 sniffing in monitor
mode, so I get the maximum information out of the exercise :)

> BTW, I can confirm tcpdump will see outgoing traffic as it is after
> POSTROUTING chain, and incoming one as it is before PREROUTING. I've
> just checked playing with TTL on pings.

Thanks.

Antony.

--
"Note: Windows 98, Windows 98SE and Windows 95 are not affected by [MS
Blaster].   However, these products are no longer supported.   Users of these

(which *are* affected by MS Blaster...)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.