Re: tcpdump and iptables ..

Le sam 06/03/2004 à 19:12, Antony Stone a écrit :
> tcpdump sees ethernet frames,
> IPX and similar traffic which are not even IP based, as well as completely
> different media types such as 802.11b headers.   All this gets stripped off
> before reaching netfilter (with the exception of MAC addresses, but even
> there, netfilter can't tell whether a packet arrived by ethernet or 802.11).

Just a notice about 802.11 stuff.

The way tcpdump will see traffic coming from a wireless link depends on
the wifi interface state. If the interface is in normal operation mode
(managed, ad-hoc or master), it will see frames as usual ethernet ones,
just as it was sniffing a wired link. If the interface is in monitor
mode, then it will see the frames will full 802.11 header.

BTW, I can confirm tcpdump will see outgoing traffic as it is after
POSTROUTING chain, and incoming one as it is before PREROUTING. I've
just checked playing with TTL on pings.

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE