Re: Security question

On Monday 01 March 2004 12:55 pm, Sasa Stupar wrote:

> What is the potential security problem if you have network as follows:
>
> SOLUTION 1
>
> INET-CABLE MODEM-----------------|
> ROUTER-eth0-public IP address----|
> ROUTER-eth1-private IP address---|------->SWITCH
> ROUTER-eth2-private IP address---|
> Internal server for mail,web-----|
> all LAN users with private IP----|

Any user can set their machine to have a public IP and talk to the cable modem
directly, without going through the router.

Also, Linux-based routers often do interesting things with arp replies when
they have multiple interfaces connected to the same switch.

> SOLUTION 2
>
> INET-CABLE MODEM-->eth0-ROUTER|--eth1|
> 			       --eth2|-->SWITCH
> 		 server and LAN users|

The only path between the internal protected network and the external Internet
is through the router - therefore you have complete control over what is
allowed, by setting appropriate filtering rules on the router.

> I am thinking of the solution 1 because cable modem is a little bit to
> far away from the router and I don't want to use to much of the cables.
> I have setup router with MAC address filtering and also put firewall on
> all internal computers.
> What is possible security problem comparing the 2 solutions above?

Since the switch has no security capabilities, and it is connecting external
addresses (cable modem) directly to internal machines (PCs), it is simple for
users to bypass your security if they want to.   I would not use this
arrangement.

There is a general rule about firewalls - they should be the only path between
the protected and the untrusted networks.   If there is another way for
packets to travel between these two, without going through the firewall, you
cannot rely on it to do the job you want.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me,
because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know.

 - Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defence

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.