Re: netfilter question

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 11:13, John Black wrote:

> >Okay, so that rule is going to hide your 192.168.0.0/24 >network behind the
> public address of the firewall for all >packets going to addresses in the range
> 161.x.x.x/21 (ie 8 >Class C's in size).
> 8 Class C's?

if 24 bits define a mask that is considered as Class C

24-21 = 3
2 power 3 = 8

so, its 8 /24 or 8 Class C networks.

> >How are you testing this and deciding it doesn't work?
> im testing it with my windows machine going to the msn chat rooms, because i
> know i will show you what ip address you are coming from.  is there a better
> way to check it.

www.whatsmyipaddress.com is a lazy but effective way :)

or just simply log or sniff output packets

> >(By the way, why are you only translating packets which are >going to (presumably)
> your ISP?   What about packets going >anywhere else on the Internet?).
>
> I thought that translated all of the packets?  How is it only translating packets
> to the ISP?

this assumption is because you're saying 161.x.x.x/21  as destination,
all other destinations that doesnt belong to 161.x.x.x to
161.x.x+8.x+255 will be not nat'ed

--
Alexis <alexis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>