Re: PPTP port forwarding

On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:53 am, Wim Ceulemans wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have noticed a problem with PPTP forwarding not working as it should.
>
> We have a system on kernel 2.4.24 with latest pom and iptables 1.2.9.
> There is a port forwarding PPTP to a windows 2000 server behind the
> firewall.
>
> We noticed that when someone connects with PPTP the connection is closed
> after 3 to 4 minutes. This problem only occurs if there is a router in
> nat mode between the firewall and the internet. If the public ip is on
> the firewall then this problem does not occur.

You cannot operate PPTP across a NATted connection without a special helper
module (hence your need for pom as stated above).

If the other nat-mode router does not have a suitable helper for PPTP then you
can't use this combination.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
You'll feel much better about things once you do.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.