Re: Routing problem

On Saturday 14 February 2004 3:19 pm, Carlos Fernandez Sanz wrote:

> > What (exactly) do you mean by "It also has our first public address"?
> > Is that public IP assigned to one of your router's interfaces?   If it
> > is,
>
> Actually I don't have it *assigned*, because the interface where packets
> come from internet has 172.x.y.99... so when anything comes to our first
> public address, I DNAT it to the router private address. I guess I could
> 'ip addr add' the IP instead of doing this.

> > then simply connect the machine needing the second public IP address on it
> > to that interface,
>
> How? By connecting the router interface, the second machine, and the
> carrier gateway to the same switch/hub?

No, the router (external I/F) is connected to the carrier gateway (these are
talking to each other ising 172.x.y.z).   Leave these as they are and connect
nothing else to them.

Assign public IP number 1 as a second address to the router's internal
interface (alongside 192.168.21.1), and assign public IP number 2 to the
machine which is causing all the trouble.   That machine is already connected
to your internal hub/switch, so therefore it can talk to the router, using
public IP number 1 as its default gateway address.

Hope this is clear now.

Why didn't the user requiring secure access to the system just use a VPN?

Antony.

--
My New Year's resolution is not to make any resolutions I can't keep.

I'm wondering whether I've failed already.