Re: is this correct ?

On Friday 06 February 2004 12:01 pm, Aleksandr Guidrevitch wrote:

> Can anyone say if my config below is correct (/etc/sysconfig/iptables) ?
> Well, it seems to work as expected, but it is so simple,
> may be I'm missing some important security points ?

You are certainly missing some important security.

Take a look at some of the documentation for netfilter, referenced from the
netfilter website, such as Oskar Andreasson's excellent tutorial at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html and pay
particular attention to the meaning of the INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT chains.
Specifically, packets being routed *through* the firewall from your LAN to
the Internet (or vice versa) do *not* go through INPUT or OUTPUT.....

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anyone that's normal doesn't really achieve much.

 - Mark Blair, Australian rocket engineer

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.