iptc_* implementation queries

I am interested in knowing the netfilter infrastructure and I would
like to know how iptables communicates with netfilter ( user to
kernel space communication ) I understand that it happens through
raw sockets through setsockot and getsockopt. Also there are a
good number of iptc_* calls that are declared in libiptc.h which
are used by the iptables user space tool. I would like to know
where I can see the implementations for these iptc_* calls.
I am unable to see this either in the kernel code nor in the
iptables bz2 package. I am looking at 2.4.18 code of linux
kernel fyi.

I will appreciate a mini code walk through or example.

Regards,
Jambunathan K.