RE: Beginners Luck??

> Iptables comes with the kernel? or does the kernel merely contain
> support, and then an additional program sorta, jacks into that
> support?

The second description is correct. Netfilter is the kernel support for
firewalls, and iptables is the userspace tool which 'jacks' into the
kernel.

> Is there a reason why after running a firewall i might not be able to
> start java applications (eg jEdit 4.1) - I get a splash screen but it
> just sits there. this is using Java 1.4.2_01 (as shipped with
> Slackware 9.1)

It could be that you are blocking traffic to or from 'lo' or localhost.
Make sure that you leave this alone. I know that java often uses ports
for various mickel-muck. Anyways, also does port 6000 work correctly?
Maybe if you described your base rules, I could tell you where you're
problem is originating from.