Re: could someone translate these rules inot plain english

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:48:09 -0500 (EST),
"Technical" <technical@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<34137.66.65.52.125.1074768489.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Technical wrote:
> >> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
> >ACCEPT
> >
> > For this chain (presumably packets inbound to the network), accept
> > any packets that are part of established TCP connections (ie: a SYN
> > packet for the connection has gone out from the network), or related
> > to UDP packets that have gone out through the firewall.
> >
> >> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
> >
> > Otherwise, reject the packet by sending back an ICMP message telling
> > the remote host that communication with its intended target is
> > administratively prohibited.
>

> If the default is that iptables to reject all packets that cannot not
> be deall with any of the previous rules, why would somemone use the
> last rule??  am I missing something??

..polite authentication scheme?  To hide my box, I have played with the
less polite  -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-unreachable and --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT and have people try to
ping/scan/see me.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: