Re: could someone translate these rules inot plain english

On January 22, 2004 05:48 am, Technical wrote:
> > Technical wrote:
> >> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> >
> > For this chain (presumably packets inbound to the network), accept any
> > packets that are part of established TCP connections (ie: a SYN packet
> > for the connection has gone out from the network), or related to UDP
> > packets that have gone out through the firewall.
> >
> >> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
> >
> > Otherwise, reject the packet by sending back an ICMP message telling the
> > remote host that communication with its intended target is
> > administratively prohibited.
> >

> > HTH
> > Alex Satrapa
>
> If the default is that iptables to reject all packets that cannot not be
> deall with any of the previous rules, why would somemone use the last
> rule??  am I missing something??

	The reply with host-prohibited is used to send  a different ICMP response
	than would normally be sent (policy DROP doesn't reply) ... I believe also that the core tables in a
	RH firewall are *not* set DROP -- they do that in the user chains they
	create. .... but thats hearsay so I don't count it 100% accurate.

	Alistair.