Re: Strange logs...

On Sunday 11 January 2004 1:59 pm, Carlos Fernandez Sanz wrote:

> > Your IRQ/address etc setup looks fine to me, however there is clearly
> > something weird about the network hardware arrangement for you to get the
> > above-described ping behaviour.
>
> Such as the router and the switch being connected for no reason? I was
> obviously on crack when I set that up.... just found out that was the
> problem.... strange that everything would work perfectly for hours then
> stop working for minutes, etc... probably a table filling up in the switch
> or the router or both :-)

I'd put it down to the arp caches getting (mightily) confused about where to
find things.   Never mind the degree to which a security engineer's eyebrow
would rise upon realising your switch was connected to both sides of your
firewall :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.