Re: Problem behind my DMZ

On Thursday 08 January 2004 3:53 pm, Martin Leduc wrote:

> Thanks for help Mr. Brenton,
>
> But I dont understand something.  You tell me to use my public address for
> each server on my DMZ.  How can I use public IP on my server who are behind
> my firewall?  I want the server to stay behind the Firewall.
>
> I have one IP range /28, and I dont think my ISP will give me another IP
> range.

The suggestion was that if you have a large enough public IP block, you subnet
it so that part is used for your DMZ and part is used for everything else.
You can then route the DMZ subnet to machines on the DMZ which genuinely have
the public addresses assigned to them without using NAT.

All that is involved is to assign one of the /28 addresses to the DMZ
interface on your firewall, choosing the addresses for the 'external' and the
'DMZ' interfaces (as well as the netmasks) so that the DMZ is a clearly
identified subnet of its own, with a sensible routing table entry (which gets
set up automatically by Linux as soon as you assign the address and the
netmask to the interface).

All you need to remember is that Linux consults its routing table from most
specific to least specific, therefore a /29 subset of a /28 will take
precedence over the more general /28 entry.

Since you have a /28 subnet (=16 addresses) it's certainly possible to do this
in your case, and clearly a /29 subnet for the DMZ would be the simplest
arrangement (although not the only one by any means).

Antony.

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.

 - Daniel C Dennet

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.