Re: [OT] - Please reply off list - What Distro?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:32:54 -0600,
<bmcdowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<7A3B4AA360FDEF448F3390421FC8D731012C67DE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Disclaimer:  I do not wish to start a dreaded 'distro-war', but I am
> at a bit of a loss.  Please reply to me off-list, so as not to incite
> a riot...
>
> I'm unhappy with my current distro, and would like to find another
> one.  Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> I'm using bridging firewalls with iptables.  The boxes also run snort.
>  They're PII's and PIII's, no frills.  That's about it...
>
> I'm currently on RedHat and am disappointed with their move/change to
> 'Fedora'.  Nothing is future-proof, but I'd be more comfortable on
> something that isn't 'sunsetting'.  I also have concerns with Fedora's
> quality going forward.  It seems to me to be very much RedHat's
> step-child, if you get my meaning.  I don't like the concept of being
> lured with a 'stripped-down' version, and later being 'pushed' into
> paying for an upgrade.  I'm not saying that RedHat is doing this
> today, but it seems to me that they will be in a better place to do
> this in the future.
>
> Any thoughts?

..1: Next time you or someone else wants private responses, set

..2: Debian.  I made the switch in June, and rammed it down
the throats of _all_ my clients, and _enjoys_ updates that go
"apt-get update ;apt-get upgrade".  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: