[OT] - Please reply off list - What Distro?

Disclaimer:  I do not wish to start a dreaded 'distro-war', but I am at a bit of a loss.  Please reply to me off-list, so as not to incite a riot...

I'm unhappy with my current distro, and would like to find another one.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm using bridging firewalls with iptables.  The boxes also run snort.  They're PII's and PIII's, no frills.  That's about it...

I'm currently on RedHat and am disappointed with their move/change to 'Fedora'.  Nothing is future-proof, but I'd be more comfortable on something that isn't 'sunsetting'.  I also have concerns with Fedora's quality going forward.  It seems to me to be very much RedHat's step-child, if you get my meaning.  I don't like the concept of being lured with a 'stripped-down' version, and later being 'pushed' into paying for an upgrade.  I'm not saying that RedHat is doing this today, but it seems to me that they will be in a better place to do this in the future.

Any thoughts?