Re: SMTP Routing Based On Recipient

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 3:36 pm, Michael Gale wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	Do not use sendmail ... look into Postfix. It is MUCH easier to configure
> and more secure. It was designed with security and easy of use. You can
> setup a simple host to accept mail for your domain and then forward it to
> your exchange server.

I know this is getting a bit off-topic for this list, however I specifically
left postfix out of the message I posted previously because it uses a highly
strange mail queue-file naming mechanism which is tied to the on-disk inode
numbers, and does not guarantee to generate unique queue IDs for different
emails, even on the same machine at the same time if they are on different
partitions.   This can cause problems with external programs such as
MailScanner which move mail queue files from a processing queue to a delivery
queue as part of their scanning job.

In my opinion sendmail's poor security reputation is now largely historical,
and if you don't want to use that you should consider exim, which is
generally regarded as higher performance anyway.

> It is also easier to use any of the spam tools with Postfix as compared to
> using them with sendmail.

This becomes irrelevant when you use something like MailScanner to handle all
the anti-virus/anti-spam processing, and leave the MTA to do what it's good
at - delivering email.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Christmas is just an opportunity to upgrade to kernel 2.6 while no-one's
around to notice the downtime.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.